22 May 2011

emma's arrival

weighing in at 6 lbs and 10 oz and measuring 19 inches long, Emma Jane arrived healthy and ready to eat on May 11, 2011. she had little suck marks on her forearm from sucking inside the womb. the nurses said she has good muscle tone on her legs and arms. her little feet curve in to look like they are praying. she has lots of dark hair just like her brother did (before it fell out and grew in blond). Her eyelashes are really light which makes me think she will ultimately be blond too.




the first thing i thought when i saw her is that she looks exactly like me! she has my furrowed brow, my square jawline, and the stoffle lips and nose. i think this picture taken at the hospital looks just like one of my baby pics.


little Emma immediately wanted to nurse, and latched on like a pro. it took a little while for my milk to come in, and so we supplemented about 2-3 oz a day for a week or so. thanks to my expert latcher, many glasses of mother's milk tea and a week and a half later, i feel like we're doing much better now.



it was a cool and cloudy day when we brought her home - just like the day we brought Ethan home. we started tummy time right away and she is able to lift her head a few times and look around before wearing out. her big brother loves her so much and always wants to kiss her on the forehead and hold her hand. i look forward to watching their bond grow. if you ask him what his job is as her big brother, he'll tell you "protect her and keep her safe".





she is a very chill baby, hardly even startling when there's a loud noise. she's a great sleeper too (of course better during the day than at night). i think she just likes the sound of background noise. Emma makes so many funny faces in her sleep, appearing to cycle through emotions. my favorite are the involuntary smiles. it makes me excited to see the real thing soon.

i love my little girl. i'm doing my best to soak it all in since it goes by so fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment