13 February 2012

i prayed for you [update on big e]

It's been a while since I've written an update on Big E. The first half of kindergarten was a challenge adjusting to new schedules and tired kids, but the second half has been glorious.  He's just been the best kid, big brother and friend.  

One day after school he brought home a girl's phone number. Not in his handwriting.  He even knew that the first digit should be a 7, even though she wrote a 1.  So dad let him use his phone and the girl's unexpecting mother picked up on the other end.  The first words out of his mouth: "Nina said I'm supposed to come to your house".  I tried stifle my laughter and whispered "Introduce yourself first!".   He said "I'm in Nina's class" but it was too late.  The mom had hung up on him.  He wanted to call back, but we thought maybe that would be a little much, so he waited until the next day to talk to her at school.  Turns out she was at some sort of practice anyway.  I'll say I'm pretty proud of how brave my little man is!

Seeing my post about this on facebook, his long-time girlfriend's mom wrote me a message, worried that Maddie had been replaced.  I told E about this later and he said "No! Of course not! Why would she think that?!"  Two days later, he's still talking about it to dad "Why would Maddie think I would replace her?" Such a good and loyal friend. He made sure to send her a Valentine.


For a while he was obsessed with wanting a guitar.  I guess someone had come to school to show them how to play one. I just happened to mention this to a vendor I work with who has played music for years.  I didn't realize she taught guitar too. Guess who gets to strum on a borrowed guitar for a while? It's currently one of his favorite things to do.  He quickly got it out of tune, but I guess it doesn't really matter at this point.  I contacted a local college for music lessons, but they won't start until age 8.  Maybe we'll learn a few chords off of YouTube in the meantime.

A few times lately, he has gently laid his hand on his sis and said "I prayed for you."  See, when he was really wanting a little brother or sister, he asked how to get one. I told him that if you ask God in your night-night prayers, he might put one in mommy's belly. And that's what he did for about six months before I got pregnant.  So it just melts my heart now when I hear him tell his baby sis "I prayed for you." Of course, he recently decided he was going to pray for another baby.  I told him he better hold up on that for now. :)

I truly can't imagine a better kid.  I love my cuddle bug so much! He's going to be such a wonderful boyfriend/husband one day for some lucky girl.  For now though, he's all mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment